Having previously worked together at Hilti Group, Rico Casparis, Peter Gloor and Udo Schreyer founded CGS in 1995. Since the first investment, CGS has served as the Swiss-based adviser to all CGS funds. CGS’s objective has always been to build up small to medium-sized industrial groups by bringing its team’s industrial experience to bear to create a sustainable future for the companies in which it invests. All CGS funds focus clearly on selected core areas and are consistently guided by the Buy & Build strategy.
To date, CGS has invested in close to 30 individual companies, forming them into twelve distinct industrial groups. Five of these have been exited successfully so far: the Bourdon-Haenni Group, the Electronicparc Group, the Maag Group, the Schöttli Group and the mdexx Group.
We respect and cultivate our relationships with all of our stakeholders.
We constantly monitor our performance to ensure long-term success.
Deeply rooted in its long-standing experience in operational value creation and its extensive industrial expertise, CGS’s approach is guided by a set of values and core beliefs that it has consistently upheld for over 20 years.
We deliver what we promise. Consistently.
We interact responsibly and respectfully with our business environment and look beyond pure financial metrics.
We build and nurture trust with our business partners.
We stand for an entrepreneurial attitude that constantly challenges the status quo, embraces change proactively and views people as the key to success.
We constantly measure the success of our actions and take into account the long-term impact they have on the businesses in which we invest.
Not only do these values help us work together effectively as a team, they also reflect the way we cooperate with the management teams of our portfolio companies, our investors and other stakeholders.
We have a clear geographic and industry focus.
We consistently pursue a proven strategy.
Our vision is to maintain and consolidate our position as a leading industrial investor in small and medium-sized companies in our selected core areas in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (DACH region) with a distinct focus on operational value creation.
Our mission is to build up industrial groups in carefully selected niches, consistently applying a Buy & Build approach and bringing our operational experience to bear to foster the creation of extraordinary additional value.
Our business approach is rooted in our broad and deep understanding of the core characteristics that shape the areas in which CGS invests. When thinking about their future development, many small and medium-sized companies and their owners are facing similar challenges:
- limited experience and lack of financial resources to internationalize their business
- companies’ size is limiting its negotiating power, putting it under increasing price pressure
- many mature industrial markets have entered a consolidation phase, which requires new strategies and skills in M&A and other areas
- due to the typical size and history of such companies, they often tend to be unduly dependent on one or two key individuals
- limited resources and skills for developing new products
The core areas in which we invest are:
- construction supplies
- industrial equipment
- machinery and equipment
- measurement and control systems/sensors
As business builders we specialize in the formation of industrial clusters of companies. Our objective is to create substantial value for the owners by developing these clusters into market-leading industrial groups. We develop these groups within the same market niche, as part of a process that generally involves significant internationalization. This generates synergies within the clusters, enabling them to reap the rewards arising from economies of scale and scope, better visibility in the marketplace and stronger purchasing power.
The characteristics of a typical cluster are:
- General structure: a cluster consists of one platform investment and, typically, two to four add-on investments
- Platform investments: located in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (DACH region)
- Add-on investments: worldwide
- Company sizes: small and medium-sized companies with revenues ranging from EUR 10 million to EUR 80 million